The Sloppy Houndstooth
This hearty meal is not only a family favorite, but also our gameday pick! As a fun tailgate twist, replace the hamburger buns with King's Hawaiian Rolls for quick, delicious, grab & go sliders. YUM!
The Houndstooth Sloppy incorporates fresh ingredients that really pack the punch and give this sloppy joe a more nutritious edge.So let's start by chopping up our veggies!
Did you know that evenly sliced vegetables affect taste?! That's right! Evenly cut produce means evenly cooked veggies, but we know that achieving that uniform cut can be more easily said than done.
So with the help of The Houndstooth Prep System, we started by dicing our onion with ease. Check out our video below on "How to Cut an Onion" with our prep system.
Next, we minced our garlic & diced our celery & carrots. See more how-to videos with these veggies on our Veggie-torials™ page.
Is your mouth watering yet?! Us, too! So let's start cooking.
The Sloppy Houndstooth
Length of Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 6 Sandwiches
- 2 Tbls. - Olive oil
- 1 – 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 – Lg. onion, diced small
- 5 – Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 – Portobello mushrooms caps, underside dark gills removed, diced small
- 2 – Carrots, diced small
- 1 – Celery stalk, diced small
- 2 Lbs. - Ground beef
- 1-1/2 Tbls. – Ground chili powder
- 1 tsp. – Ground cumin
- 1 tsp. – Salt
- ½ tsp. – Black pepper
- 2 Tbls. – Balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- ½ cup – Beef stock
- 2-1/2 Tbls. – Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbls. – Brown sugar
- 6 – Hamburger buns
- For Slider: 18 King's Hawaiian Dinner Rolls
- 2 Tbls. – Butter
- Sweet Gherkin Pickle
- Take the butter out of the refrigerator to soften as you prep.
- Heat oil in a skillet over med-high heat. When glistening, add onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and garlic and stir to evenly distribute. Cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add carrot, celery, ½ tsp. salt and cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef and brown, breaking up any lumps. Add chili powder, cumin, ½ tsp. salt, black pepper, stirring to combine and cook 1-2 minutes
- Add crushed tomatoes, beef stock, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Spread softened butter on hamburger buns and toast the buttered side. Serve open face with ground beef sauce.
We wanted to freshen up our Sloppy Houndstooth so we went with a creamy side of coleslaw! Baked Beans is another crowd favorite.
Get started with The Houndstooth Prep System today & Receive:
The Houndstooth™ Prep Tool (choose from 6 colors!!)
The Perfect Bite™ Cutting Board
Veggie-torials Countertop Guide
Victorinox 6" PRO Chef's Knife
A $155 value for only $99.95. Buy Now>
To Learn More Watch the Demo Video Below!